The Northwest Territories Geological Survey (NTGS) is a Division of the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment, Government of the Northwest Territories. Formerly known as the Northwest Territories Geoscience Office (NTGO), the NTGS changed its name on April 1st, 2015 to reflect our role as a government-funded research organization. We advance geoscience knowledge of the Northwest Territories (NWT) by conducting geoscience research, analysing mineral and petroleum resources, and offering excellent digital data.
Our Geological Expertise
Collectively, the 24 employees at the NTGS have acquired an impressive amount of geological expertise. Our research projects in the NWT include:
- Mapping the geology;
- Assessment of mineral deposits;
- Industrial minerals;
- Geochemistry and Geophysics;
- Evaluation of petroleum potential;
- Monitoring permafrost and climate change;
- Permafrost and infrastructure; and
- Geographical Information System (GIS).
We are the main source of geological information for the NWT. Our services include:
- Geological library with client work space;
- Information research assistance;
- Field research support;
- Co-supervision of M.Sc. and Ph.D. research;
- School and community presentations; and
- Geology trail guides.
We are committed to providing neutral geoscience information to our clients who include:
- Prospectors and exploration companies;
- Federal, territorial, and municipal departments;
- Academic researchers;
- Teachers and students, and;
- General public and NWT communities.